Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September??

Fall is fast approaching...and we are very excited! This week is a big week with college football kicking off. Joel is excited...and I'm getting nervous.

In review...

Joey started soccer earlier this month and started the first grade last week. He has played 3 games and his team, the Seattle Mariners (I hope that's right) has won 2 of them (I'm pretty sure that's right). He's definitely learning from his teammates and his skills are building and growing every week. Joel and I took Joey to the field behind the school by our house and played soccer with him for a while. It looks like Joey might end up being a goalie. He was doing a pretty great job at diving and sliding every which way to ensure the ball didn't make it past the goal. We were impressed. We ended up racing each other and here's what we learned. Joel is twice as fast a runner as I am, and Joey is barely slower than I am. I'm also convinced that by Joey's 12th birthday he'll be able to beat me at arm wrestling. We shall see... So far, Joey likes his teacher and is having fun at school. He is a busy kid!

Joel is working hard with his quartet, rehearsing twice a week for the next 4 weeks, to prepare for district competition in Layton. It's definitely a sacrifice having him gone so much, but it's worth it. He's also working very hard in his job. He admires the values that Kimpton Hotels has and the way in which they train their staff and management, so he is hoping for more opportunities with the company. His interest in moving up the ladder has instilled a sense of pride and ownership in his everyday at work, which definitely helps make work more enjoyable. After a couple less enjoyable jobs, I'm happy to see Joel smiling when he comes home from work. With his work schedule and quartet rehearsal and my job and classes, there isn't much time for us to be together. It's wonderful that he is able to sing with his quartet and enjoy using his talents. His quartet is extremely talented and have excellent chances of going places...so I support Joel the best I can, although I occasionally and regrettedly whine because I miss him so much.

As for me, I started classes last week and so far it looks like it will be a manageable semester. At the end of each semester I am so exhausted that I want to cut back on my course load or extend my expected graduation, but I realize if I can keep chugging along, I can finish in 4 more semesters! I just have to take it one semester at a time and then evaluate at the end of each semester. Next week I will start singing with Deseret Chamber Singers again, which I am really looking forward to. I have really missed singing on a regular basis. It is a wonderful outlet for me to express myself and recharge. We all really need something like this in our lives. I'm grateful to know people so I can be a part of what I love! Regarding my weight loss, it's coming off slowly...or at least has been up until this week. I haven't been following Jillian's program exactly, but I have found an ever evolving routine that works for me. I was successful in exercising 5 days a week for 2 weeks in a row, then the next two weeks were less successful, but still better than before. This week I am back on the wagon and have gone to the gym twice already this week. I recently realized that regular exercise has a dramatic effect on my moods. Another reason to keep at it!

That's the latest. I'll post pictures of Joey's next soccer game soon. Remembering my camera is tough, but remembering to actually takes pictures is tougher!

3 comments:

  1. One semester at a time, one pound at a time! These things don't happen overnight! Just keep at it! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck!!
    Just know that all the hard work isn't for nothing!

    ReplyDelete